Civil Engineer, Stormwater Services | Charlotte
Hiring passionate people. Fostering good relationships. Dedication to great work. These are just three of our values that have carried us over the past 40+ years and will continue to carry us into the future.
From the day LandDesign was founded, it was set up to be a firm that transcended generations; one that was about ideas, inspired by ideals. We are a collaborative group of landscape architects, civil engineers, planners and urban designers that approach projects with unique expertise and diverse perspectives, but with a shared goal to create places that matter.
LandDesign, Inc. is currently seeking individuals to join an existing team that manages multiple City of Charlotte Minor Storm Drainage projects. Individuals shall be motivated and willing to work in a team environment while managing their individual projects. Scope of work is to provide an engineered resolution for various minor drainage project design regarding identified problems in an existing conditions environment.
- Responsibilities includes but not limited to assessment, concept plan, design, construction estimates, bidding documents, etc. for work on existing drainage systems that have failed and require replacement, rehabilitation, or repair treatments that meet City practices and standards.
- Participate in but not limited to utility coordination meetings, preconstruction meetings, address redlined comments, warranty observation field meetings at 6 and 12 months intervals.
- Assessment of existing storm drainage systems.
- Comprehensive study of associated drainage area.
- Field observations – Evaluation of all site conditions associated with the problem identified.
- Engage in property owner communication to gather necessary information for completion of project requirements, including easement donation.
- Conceptual design
- prepare aerials, exhibits, and drawings to produce a resolution plan for the problem identified.
- Research all available recorded information such as subdivision plats, easements, and existing project documents regarding the overall conditions of the system being evaluated.
- Design and construction document production
- Coordinate with City of Charlotte staff and sub-consultants to perform within specified scope. Create construction documents based on proposed stormwater improvements, planning, and design.
- Schedule pipe video and confined space entry requests
- Manage horizontal and vertical utility (SUE) locates and survey requests
- Collaborate with Water Quality Team – Confirm that 401/404 permits are being evaluated and reviewed.
- Collaborate with Construction staff – discuss constructability of proposed project scope and incorporate any concerns into design process. Confirm constructability, access, conflicts, traffic concerns / phasing, etc.
- Comprehend, assess, and apply fundamental engineering and construction principles to achieve project goals.
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic studies of an existing drainage area for various storm drainage systems in compliance with Charlotte Land Development Standards and North Carolina Roadway Standard Drawings and Specifications.
- Ability to perform closed pipe system analysis, open pipe system analysis, culvert / cross drain analysis, open channel analysis, inlet depth and gutter spread calculations, foundation protection evaluation, and implementation of erosion and sediment control measures.
- Develop technical and non-technical reports.
- Generate cost estimates determined by proposed stormwater improvements.
- Knowledge and experience with the following models/software: AutoCAD Civil 3D, StormCAD, HydroCAD, FlowMaster, ArcMap, ArcGIS, HY-8, NCRS WinTR-55, AdobePro, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Time management (Meeting anticipated schedules based on project specifics).
- Valid driver’s license.
- Each candidate will be required to provide their own transportation for commuting purposes to and from the project site locations and provide own mobile phone to complete the scope within the position requirements.
- Each candidate will be required to communicate to the public regarding project specific information.
- 3+ years of related experience
All interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume directly through our website.
Employees are offered a competitive compensation package which includes a 401K retirement program and paid holidays, as well as health, life, dental, vision, and disability insurances.
LandDesign is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values a diverse workplace.