Senior Urban Designer + Landscape Architect
Landscape Architecture, Alexandria, Virginia
LandDesign is a collection of visionaries and problem solvers who believe in the power of balance, combining creativity and practicality to design what we know will thrive. We leverage our diverse expertise and relentless curiosity to deliver innovative, attainable big ideas — aligning our clients’ vision with the culture of the community to delight those who will enjoy the space. We are driven by a boundless desire for better, because we believe that learning is lifelong and growth is infinite. This curiosity and uncommon collaboration fuel our culture and drive ideas that continuously improve our practice and the people who are part of it.
The position requires a degree in Landscape Architecture or Planning (or a strong technical background in either), along with a solid understanding of urban planning and a strong acumen for business development.
- Master planning of various mixed-use (vertical and horizontal) and retail-driven projects of small to large acreages, as well as multi-family residential, office, and other residential communities.
- Some site design, design development and construction documents including grading coordination with Landscape Architecture team.
- Develop and present reports, demonstrating strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills.
- Masterplans, conceptual sketch plan options and density studies for mixed-use, retail, office, multi-family, and residential community developments.
- Zoning plans and plan related support martial for submittals.
- Manage various day-to-day project activities and deadlines on multiple projects.
- Participate in regional marketing and business development opportunities for Planning, including the development of proposals and participation in interview presentations.
- Coordinate with client, architect and engineers on various project needs including program, retail tenants, code requirements, grading and parking.
- Prepare letters of agreement, contracts and manage billing/ review invoicing.
- Identify new opportunities, and assist in positioning for, and ultimately securing, the opportunity.
- Coordinate stakeholder and community involvement efforts as project dictates, which includes making public presentations and facilitating design charrettes, workshops, and similar meetings.
- Appropriately manage large-scale, complex projects with interdisciplinary project teams in a budget-conscious and time-sensitive manner while attaining clients’ high-quality standards.
- Provide collaborative, quality design solutions that meet and exceed client expectations.
- Assist in the development of land use and urban design plans.
- Review policies and ordinances, research best practices and develop recommendations.
- Collaborate with other designers in all aspects of a given project to develop conceptual design documents and community development/urban design plans.
- Provide support to complete large-scale, complex projects with interdisciplinary project teams in a budget-conscious and time-sensitive manner while attaining clients’ high-quality standards.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with demonstrated leadership in the field of Planning in a consulting environment, Urban Design or Landscape Architecture.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Landscape Architecture.
- AICP Certification highly desired.
- Have experience and/or familiarity with graphic software programs such as GIS, AutoCAD, Illustrator, Photoshop, SketchUp and/or other relevant programs.
Employees are offered a competitive compensation package and robust benefits package that includes access to wellness programming, 401k retirement plan, paid holidays, paid time off, paid parental leave, paid volunteer hours, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances.
LandDesign is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workplace.
Employees are offered a competitive compensation package, including a 401k retirement program and paid holidays, as well as health, life, dental, vision, and disability insurances.
60% of our partners have been here their entire career
Work Hard but Stay Well
We designed our wellness program to support and contribute to the health and well-being of all our colleagues.Learn More
of leadership roles are occupied by women
of interns return for full-time positions
of employees have been here more than 5 years
Ready to Start a New Chapter?
Explore our open positions to see how you can create something that matters with us.